A Size Healthier in 2009 - Even if it Kills Me!

Monday, June 9, 2008

The Dog Days of Summer are upon us...

It's that time of year...

It's HOT! There's no other word, but HOT. There's heat and humidity and sunburns and lots and lots of air conditioning! Thank God for air conditioning.

Saturday was one of those days. I spent a few hours at work and the air was fine until about noon when it shut off. It slowly got more and more thick in that place. So, I decided to go to they gym.

Yep. I went to the gym even though it was 97 degrees outside. I performed multiple feats of aerobic activity: 15 mins on the elliptical, 15 mins of jogging on the treadmill and then 15 mins of riding the bike. Got my 45 minutes of aerobic activity in. Then...oh yes, there's more. I did a few sets of push-ups (my lower arm muscles are now swollen - not just sore, swollen). I did a few sets of reverse push-ups (sort of like a pull-up with your feet on the ground). I did some bicep curls, lower ab crunches. upper ab crunches and some tricep "skull" crushers (I like that one - but fearfully, when your arms are tired, holding weights over your head and lowering them behind your head - I understand the whole skull-crusher thing.).

Then . . .

Just kidding! I was done. I had to run home for a shower because not only was the gym muggy, I was nasty sweaty...

I got my gym bag with me today. I plan on a trip to the gym at lunchtime today. I think I'll just get in some aerobic activity - treadmill or elliptical - or maybe both. Maybe some ab-work - since that seems to be the most troublesome spot for me.

The dog days of summer might be upon us, but that's no excuse for us to either lazily lay around in a hammock in our backyard sipping ice-cold tea or lying on our couches, taking in as much TV as one could possibly take in. No, its time for activity. It's time to get out there and keep the momentum that has so slowly been building.

So, as long as you're going to sweat, you might as well sweat while doing something useful!

No comments: