A Size Healthier in 2009 - Even if it Kills Me!

Friday, April 24, 2009

SQUATS OR RUNNING, but not BOTH!

That's what the doctor said.

Tough choice (not!). Who in their right mind would choose squats???!!!???

Sointenly (think Bugs Bunny) - not I!

I say this specifically because I am once again signing up for personal training at ye olde gym and my trainer's favorite form of torture for this specimen is SQUAT THRUSTS! I absolutely abhor the squat thrust. It's more like beached whale on carpet. At least that's what I feel like as my body stretches out in the push-up position. I know she's cooking these up in her gym kitchen for an appetizer on day one.

But nana nana booboo - I don't do squats for no one no more! YEAH!!!

Ok. I should be just a little disappointed or frustrated at the thought of growing old and finallly having 12 years of playing catcher in fast-pitch softball "catch-up" to me. I should be just a teensy wheency saddened by my lack of being able to do all things, but alas, there's no sadness. Maybe I'm suppressing it. Maybe I am just a slight bit happy that my future does not include squats or squat thrusts, or lunges!

But it does include RUNNING (or jogging as the doctor put it).

That takes me on a ranting tangent that I will save for another day. Ok - no, let's address it today.

At what speed do I finally go from a JOGGER to a RUNNER??? I go outside with Running Shoes, wearing Running Gear to RUN. Jogging sounds more like a hobby or something to do while wearing a full sweat-suit.

I may not be skinny and/or muscular. I may not run sub-10 minutes, but nonetheless...

I AM A RUNNER!

Ok - I've digressed. It's now out of me...ahhhh, I feel better now.

Back to where I was...Oh yeah...squats or running.

Although I left the doctor's office feeling a little more confused then when I came in (I felt like they were rushing and basically just doing the routine and I didn't get to ask all the questions I wanted to ask), I knew a few things.

1. My knee will not get better - it's filling with fluid due to overuse/abuse (years of catching and running while overweight don't help).
2. I cannot run and do squats/lunges - he basically said it's one or the other.
3. Stair-Climbing, using the stepper, etc...they are out too.
4. Use Ibuprofen when it swells.
5. He didn't say not to continue my training for the Broad Street.

At least - that's what I concluded from the full 10-minutes I had with the doctor.

I walked away with these thoughts:
1. I don't plan on slowing or stopping the running anytime soon.
2. Maybe if I lose some weight, I will see increased improvement in the form/function of my knee.
3. My God is a BIG GOD and He can heal my knee to pre-catching, pre-abuse/overuse status.
4. I'm glad I don't have to do squats!

Alright, that's my rant for the day. I feel much better.

Thanks for your patience and your prayers over these past few days/weeks.

I have to focus now. Broad Street is in 9 days.

1 comment:

The Gang's Momma! said...

LOL. I am NOT a runner. But I understand your frustration at the box he put you in. At the assumption he made. See last week's blog post about assumptions. :(

Praying still. And ROFL at your indignation. I can hear your voice in my head while I'm reading.

Is that scary? Or creepy? Or just pathetic?