A Size Healthier in 2009 - Even if it Kills Me!

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Speed Bump!

Did you ever have that experience that as you're driving through a supermarket or some side street going pretty fast and all the sudden your passenger yells, "SPEED BUMP" - then, almost involuntarily, you slam on the brakes as your vehicle slams over the speed bump? There's the moment of "shock and awe" (what just happened) followed by "is my car alright" (assessing the damage)...

It seems that everytime I'm cruising along in my training or routine, a body part yells out, "SPEED BUMP" just before I get some "routine-altering" injury.

That's where I'm at right now!

I have just hit the SPEED BUMP and I'm in shock and awe as I assess if there's any damage.

Here's the deal. The last few times I've been on my training runs, the next day (and days after), my knees seemingly fill-up with fluid and feel like they're going to pop. If I bend them or try to squat - it feels even worse. I know it's not a tear or injury due to the fact that it's both knees.

After Tuesday nights run of 5-miles, I was feeling really good. The run went well, despite the weather (it was rainy and cold). I was able to keep my goal pace and even kick-it up a notch near the end. As the night progressed, my legs got stiff. I stretched post-run. Before I went to bed, I stretched a little more. 2 days later, I have this "bulge" of fluid just the outside of my knee cap that seemingly grows and pokes out when I bend my knee (I really should videotape it).

I tried to sleep with my legs elevated, but halfway through the night, I was done with that.

So, I've done what all good athletes should do - I went to WebMD for my diagnosis. According to WebMD, I either have Gout, RA, Lyme Disease or an Insect Bite. Hmmm... I did the next best thing, I called a sports doctor and made an appointment. I asked for their best sports doctor. They replied with a mid-May first possible appt. So, I asked for their 2nd best sports doctor. I get to see him next Thursday.

The Broad Street Run is just 3 weeks away. The doctor's appt is one week away. I don't want to be stupid, but I really want to run in the Broad Street.

So, I've decided to sit out today's run and wait for Saturday to see how the ol' knees are doing. I'm supposed to run 7 miles on Saturday. If you're an athlete or have ever trained for an event, you know the struggle I'm wrestling with. If you're not - you're now thinking I'm stupid and just need to give it up and go for it next year. I'm somewhere in between - I want to be wise and do the right thing with the hopes that I will still get to run! :)

Alright, well I'm off to finish my days work so I can go home and: REST, ICE, COMPRESS and ELEVATE the knees!

1 comment:

The Gang's Momma! said...

Well, I'm not an athelete but I don't think you are stupid. A little teched in the head maybe (said in a redneck southern drawl). But not stupid.

Determined. Diligent. Fiercely competitive. Driven. Purposeful.

Teched.

Not stupid!