A Size Healthier in 2009 - Even if it Kills Me!

Monday, April 20, 2009

I'm still going...

Just because I had to make sure I had legitimate knee troubles, I went for a run on Saturday at ye olde middle school gravel track. I figured if I drove over there, I could quit as soon as my knees felt like they were giving me any trouble. Plus, the gravel track would be easier on the knees than macadam.

5.5 miles later...I decided it was too dark to continue (I had prescription sunglasses on and had forgotten to bring my regular sunglasses). I wrapped both knees carefully and went home. I did a pretty good stretch routine pre and post-run. I wanted to ensure that if there was injury happening to my knees, it wasn't because I wasn't stretching properly.

I actually felt pretty good the rest of the evening. I could still feel a little bit of swelling in the knees, they're definitely not normal, but there was no major stiffness or puffiness. Sunday, just for due diligence, I iced and elevated while I watched a movie.

Today, I went to the gym for a strength training workout. I did a few quad lifts that I saw online to help strengthen the muscles that support the knees. I focused mainly on upper body. As it is, my shoulders are sore from the lateral pull-downs. I should be feeling the muscles in my abs soon too.

I had some trouble getting on the floor mat for some of the ab exercises due to my knee. It's just an odd little growth or whatever sticking out of my knee. It's visibility is increased when the knee is bent - it literally looks and feels like this egg-sized bubble that's going to pop!

Alright, well, until I'm told otherwise (possibly during Thursday's appt), I will continue to workout and run (nursing the knees with some STRETCHING, ICE and COMPRESSION).

No comments: