A Size Healthier in 2009 - Even if it Kills Me!

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

It's been just over a year now...

It's been just over a year now that I've been actively trying to lose weight.
  • In March of 2008, I joined the gym and hired a trainer for 10 sessions.
  • I trained for and ran a half marathon in late April.
  • After those 10 sessions were over, I hired her for an additional 10 sessions.
  • I ran in a 5k over the summer.
  • Beginning in July, I started going to the gym practically everyday.
  • My fitness has increased, as well as my endurance.
  • I've lost a few pounds - around 17 to be exact. I am stronger.
  • I feel healthier.
If I had to gauge myself, I'm not where I'd like to be but I like where I'm at.

These past few weeks of training for the 10-miler (Broad Street Run) has caused my body an awful lot of stress. I've slowed, ok, practically stopped going to the gym. I've been following the training schedule, as far as running, but that's about it.

This was going to be the week that I started to go back to the gym - putting it back into my daily routine. Oops - I forgot my gym bag (again). That's twice this week and it's only Tuesday. I need to start incorporating some light lifting and cross-training into my schedule.

I brought the ol' dusty bike out of the basement into sunlight for the first time in 3 years. Pumped up the tires, washed and oiled it, took it for a test-drive. Works great! I also brought up the roller blades - also in the basement for about the same amount of time. I used to love roller-blading in my post-college days (in fact, they were my sole source of transportation for a few years). I haven't tried them out yet, maybe this weekend.

Considering most people gain a few pounds every year, I'm not doing all that bad. Honestly though, I didn't think losing weight would be all that difficult. I thought if I went to the gym and hired a trainer and changed up my diet - the pounds would melt off. At least, that's how it seems to work for those around me.

But no, I'm not like everyone else. I have to work harder. I have to push harder. It doesn't seem fair. But then again, I didn't just gain this weight over a period of time, I've been a big girl most of my life. I have a lifetime of weight to lose. When placed in that perspective - 17 pounds in a year doesn't seem all that bad now does it?

So, at my current rate, I have approximately 60 pounds to lose - I can expect to hit my goal weight on: September 7, 2012.

Yeah!

No comments: