A Size Healthier in 2009 - Even if it Kills Me!

Friday, October 24, 2008

Late night at the gym.

It's been a long time since I've gone to the gym in the evening.

In fact, I think I've only done that once or twice. But, with the schedule I've had, I couldn't go during lunch and early morning was definitely out of the question. The evening crowd is much different than any other time during the day.

When I've gone early morning, the folks that are there are just rolling out of bed (evident by the nappy-heads and eye-crusties). They are usually more serious about their workouts and, by my observation, are mostly females.

Ok. Fast forward to the lunch crowd. The CAR SENSE mechanics are all there (in their CAR SENSE uniforms). There are trainers and their trainees. There's a good mix of young, old, men, women...it's crowded, but not too bad.

Then, there's the night crowd. These are your standard GYM RATS. Mostly men. The kickboxers fill the free weight area (evident by their "special" shorts and bare feet). The young men staring at themselves constantly in the mirror whilst flexing their biceps or making their pecs dance... Almost always - MEN! And not just any men, but men you know have been working out - they have the huge biceps and the weight-lifting belts and the muscle shirts...

Then, there's me. I'm big, I'm bad, I'm wearing all RED. I'm a woman. I'm pretty much the only woman. Hey, I don't care, I'm there to workout, not stare at or be stared at. I'm going to do my own thing. One of the best benefits I received from having a personal trainer is the confidence I need to know what I'm doing and how to do it. So, watch-out for the woman in red flinging the kettle ball!

I like the evening for one reason: TIME. I'm not rushed. I could warm-up with 10-minutes on the ARC trainer and give it all I have and then go through a full strength training routine. It takes just over an hour. I don't have that time at lunch.

Although, I don't have the time to go most evenings. By the time I reach home (about 7pm), I'm rushing through my dinner routine, check my mail and settling in just in time to go to bed. I don't like that either.

So, for those who've been biting their nails (or clipping them into their eyeballs), yes, I'm finding the motivation to get myself to the gym. I can't go too many days without going....As it is, I'll probably go again tonight due to the PHILLIES PEP RALLY at my work where Jamie Moyer's first and second cousins will be at the autograph tent in our parking lot - signing stuff.

2 comments:

FatGirl said...

I'm a lunchtime gym warrior myself. My gym gets pretty crowded at lunchtime because it's near several major office parks in my area, but half the people at the gym are elderly and Chinese because of the old folks' home around the corner! :-)

The Gang's Momma! said...

Hey, I resemble that remark!

And why would you want something signed by JM's cousins? That smacks of strange ways to cash in on relative's fame and fortune. It sounds so strange.

I'm so happy for JM, though. He and Dara Torres are rocking the world's ideas about the 40's. :)