A Size Healthier in 2009 - Even if it Kills Me!

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Training is cheaper than Therapy - and more effective!

I used to think that waking up in the morning and feeling every bone and muscle in your body was just a sign of old age or general laziness. Now, I'm thinking differently.

By no means do I consider myself old. Neither do I consider myself lazy. But lately, getting out of bed in the morning is just plain ol' painful! This morning, I had everything I could do to lift myself to sit up in the bed. EVERY muscle in my back is singing out in chorus to me today - from the base of my neck to the base of my rear!

I knew that yesterday's training session would leave me tired and sore, but I did not expect this! Every time I yawn and stretch, I feel it. Everytime I lift my arm anywhere close to shoulder level - ouwwwww. Please don't ask me to lift anything! Even lifting that cup of decaf to my lips is causing me to have second thoughts about drinking coffee.

On a sad note, I only have 2 more training session remaining. :(

I will definitely miss that time of butt kicking each week. I know that I have the knowledge base and the discipline to continue on in the direction I've been heading, but there's something therapeutic about that one hour on training each week. My trainer and I were discussing this very fact yesterday - as we were talking about different types of people that go to therapists week after week and never take the advice of the therapist. (That's why I love Dr. Phil. His no nonsense "You need to get over it and move on" is exactly what we need).

Training is very similar. I could go get my whoopin' for an hour each week and do absolutely nothing with it through the week. What does that bring me - $60 less in my pocket (which is significantly lower in cost than a therapist) and not much else but a few sore muscles a couple days of the week. If you really want to get something out of that investment, you have to take what you learn and invest it throughout the week. Go to the gym. Put in the cardio time. Put in the strength training. Change up the diet. That's the only way to see the results!

I'll miss my time of "therapy" but I know that I've learned from that time. I've made the investment.

Now it's time for me to move on...and in the words of Dr. Phil, "You need to get over it."

No comments: