A Size Healthier in 2009 - Even if it Kills Me!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I Love Mondays!

The title has you intrigued now - doesn't it???

Let me be very clear. I hate Mondays from the perspective of going back to work for the week or getting back into the routine of the "stuff" you have to do...but, I love going to the gym on Mondays. They make the best work-out days.

Why? Well, let me tell you.

The weekend is a time to relax and unwind from the busyness and stress of the "stuff" you do all week long. There is a physical and mental relaxation that comes. But on Monday, there's this "I gotta get to the gym" mentality that just kicks in. I just wanna bust my tail and get all the workout I can get in over my lunchbreak.

Plus, I just like going to the gym!

So, I went to the gym yesterday with a craving to work out my arms. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but I want to be able to do a pull-up (or at least cross the monkey bars just once without falling). So I decided to turn up the volume on the workout.

Here's the workout:
1. Lunges on the cattle shoot (technical name - uh....I dunno). Basically, it adds weight to your lunges on your shoulders. I did 3 sets of 20.

2. Push-ups with 12 lb weights that I lift when I went up on the push-up. I did 3 sets of 12.

3. Tricep curls. 3 sets of 15.

4. Shoulder Pull-downs - 90 lbs. Yep. 90. If I'm ever going to do a pull-up, I need to up this weight tremendously, but 90 lbs is a good start. I had been only using 45 lbs. on this machine, but I had been thinking about it and knew that I could do more!

5. ABS. (My personal favorite). Today, I laid on my back, holding onto the pole behind my head. Then, I lifted both legs up over my head, lifting my butt off the ground and touched my legs to the pole, then to the left of the pole and then to the right of the pole. One. Do it 10 times. Twice.

That was basically it. Since I was working out with a co-worker and we upped all the weights and intensity, we didn't have time to do much more.

We ended in a nice stretch and a shower.

This morning, my back (pecs) are sore. I can feel that. My stomach is a bit sore too, but that is to be expected.

Today is Tuesday - CARDIO Day! Whoo hoo.

I'm thinking of mixing it up today and doing a circuit of 12 mins on the arc trainer (I call it the gazelle), 12 mins on the treadmill running and then 12 mins. of racing on the bike.

Oh, I love Tuesdays too.

No comments: