A Size Healthier in 2009 - Even if it Kills Me!

Sunday, April 27, 2008

I did it!


Here I am before the Half Marathon began. I set my hopes high by choosing to run with a pace team (knowing full well that I would be dreaming to finish at this time). I started with them, but I found myself watching the pace leader slowly disappear out of my sights somewhere after mile 3 and then I never saw them again.

I ran my own race at my own pace. I walked a few times as my ankles were so sore and I needed to stretch. I met another Marian right before the run and pretty much paced with her the entire race.

I have to say, I was pretty relaxed, considering I had a queezy stomach and needed a few stops at the Port-A-Potties. I don't understand - I only had 2 organic pop-tarts...
I started out thinking I would dedicate each mile to one of my nieces or nephews (I have nine and one on the way) and then my family. But somewhere around mile 4, 5 or 6, I had no idea where I was at and I decided just to run. Near the end, I decided to run the last mile for my grandmas, since I really started focusing on running on the last day I ever saw one of my grandmas. But, the emotion got a little overwhelming and my lungs started to constrict and I thought my asthma would kick in. I certainly wouldn't want that! So, I just decided to focus on finishing strong.

I am sitting on the couch now and my legs, feet are throbbing. It's time for some Icy Hot. I don't know what it is about running that keeps me coming back, especially since the next few days, I will have sore feet and legs. But there's just something about it. I will admit that I do NOT see a full marathon anywhere in the near future. I would have to lose some serious weight in order to do that.

No mantras this run. No mental games -- just running. Just a sheer determination to complete this race. I didn't have any overall push to pick up the speed or push it at all. I had just enough motivation to run - keeping the pace.

I had a scripture playing through my mind at one point:

"They that wait upon the Lord will renew their strength. The shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not, not be faint."

I will post my time and finishing photo when I get those. My friend's mother-in-law was there to cheer her on and she got a shot of me crossing the finish line. You'll see that as soon as I receive it.

Clock time: 3:08-ish. If that is so, I should be good for a personal record in chip-time. The anticipation is still there - waiting for the results to be posted on-line.
Thanks for all your "secret" encouragements and thoughts. I got a few texts and some phone calls afterwards. I love it! Thanks. I appreciate everyone of you.
I will still continue to post - since technically, this blog is for weight loss. I just took that past few weeks to highlight an accomplishment that I have pursued ...

Until I recover ... Look at those beautiful calves!

Here are the two marathon divas (of course, before the run):



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I finally made it on your blog? In a picture??? What's up with that? I don't remember signing a release form ... and there's a picture of my husband, too.

Mariann said...

Well, there was a disclosure assumption in the fact that all pictures taken and/or given to me with me in them are at the disposal and/or usage of me...:)