A Size Healthier in 2009 - Even if it Kills Me!

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Training...


5:00 a.m. comes mighty early!

Yet, no matter what time I go to bed the night before, I never can sleep. I don't know if it's all the excitement of going to the gym and seeing my lovely trainer or the dread of hearing the alarm clock go off at 4:00 a.m. I just can't sleep!

I get up. Watch an episode of Cosby (Cosby re-runs at 4:00 a.m. - oh yeah). Have my quiet time. Eat my blueberry waffle and turkey sausage. Brush my teeth. Get dressed in my gym clothes and drive across town to the gym to sit in the parking lot waiting for the desk person to unlock the door so I can run in, scan my membership card, run downstairs, put all my stuff in the locker room, grab my water bottle and hit the treadmill while passing by the downstairs desk to let my trainer know I'm in.

A few minutes later, I'm off.

The trainer must also be up all night. How else does she come up with all these exercises? I mean, how many possible ways is there to do a lunge? Lunge while walking. Lunge / squats with a dumbbell. Lunge while using the Tricep pulls. Lunge with a barbell on your neck. Or how about ab work? Now come on, I could write a book "101 ways to work your Abs". Try crunches on a workout ball, laying on a bench and lifting your legs over your head, bicycle crunches, reverse leg crunches, A-B-C Crunches, planks...

I certainly am NOT complaining. It makes going to the gym more interesting than just doing a few sit-up and push-ups and a few minutes on the treadmill...

I actually like my trips to the gym at 5:00 a.m. The die-hards are there. They make you feel like the "in" crowd. Plus, it's like one of those special passes at Disney where you don't have to wait in line for anything. You just step up and get on the ride. Only at the gym, the trainer walks up and commandeers the piece of equipment you use next - at no extra charge! And no one questions her! Wow - I want to be a trainer!

And the best part about training, it's the stretching at the end. You just lie down on the bench and the trainer stretches your poor, tired, abused muscles for the last 5 minutes. First the hammies, then the glutes, then the back and arms. Aaahhhhhhhhh...Now doesn't that just make you wanna go join a gym?

If you do, head over to Hatfield and tell them Mervy sent ya. I'll get a discount and you'll get flat abs!

1 comment:

The Gang's Momma! said...

Well, no, it doesn't make me want to join a gym. You lost me at 4 a.m. There's something seriously wrong with you if you get up at 4 a.m. let alone if you can work the controls of a tv at 4 a.m. I won't even go into the stuff you shouldn't be able to do at 5 a.m.

That's just wrong.
:)