A Size Healthier in 2009 - Even if it Kills Me!

Monday, June 22, 2009

Strained, Cracked or Broken - That is the question.

Is it strained, cracked or Broken? That's the question I want to ask the podiatrist.

It seems I've done "something" to the bone on my right foot where the big toe connects to my foot. It started last week after completing the 5-mile run. I seemed to be fine most of the week until I went running yesterday. I didn't get but a half-mile into my run before it started hurting.

I continued running a little longer to see if it was a pain that I should run through or discontinue. I realized it wasn't going away, so I started walking a little. It REALLY hurt to push off my big toe. SO, I tried some biomechanical changes (technical speak for changed the way I was walking) to see if I could alleviate any of the pain. It seemed to help, so I started running again.

That didn't last long. SO I determined to walk the remainder of the 2 miles and head home. It's the next day and I still hurt. It's a nagging pain that my whole body is compensating for. So, I am waiting for 1:00 p.m. to roll around to see if I can get in with the local podiatrist for an x-ray and exam.

This is kind of a bummer. I've already ran in 3 races this season: a 5-miler, a 10k (6.2 mis) and the Broad Street (10 mis). I have a 5k (3.1 mis) scheduled for this Wednesday night. I don't think I'll be running in this one. In fact, I'm 99.9% sure that I won't, but since I already paid the pre-registration, I'm going to pick-up my packet. I'll "officially" run the 5k when I am cleared.

Pray that I can see the podiatrist immediately. The sooner this is diagnosed properly, the sooner I can get the right treatment, the sooner I can be running the streets again!

No comments: