A Size Healthier in 2009 - Even if it Kills Me!

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Running...Again.

Today is the first day back of running since I injured my seismoids back in ... I don't know when. It's been a few months.

So, I decided this time, we'll do it right.

I went to the gym. Put on my running shoes with the orthotics (boooooo!) and got on the treadmill.
  • 4 minutes walking at 3.5.
  • 1 minute running at 6.0.
  • 4 minutes walking at 3.5.
  • 1 minute running at 6.0.
  • 4 minutes walking at 3.5.
  • 1 minute running at 6.0
  • 4 minutes walking at 3.5.
  • 1 minute running at 6.0.
  • 2 minutes at 3.0

STRETCHING.

I checked my heart rate right after each 1-minute run - avg 168/169. 1 minute later - around 135/136. Not bad.

The 1 minute of running did not leave me winded or gasping (inhaler was at the ready, just in case). I didn't feel any pain anywhere. No soreness.

I will do this again, same pattern in 1-2 days. If all feels the same, then we'll increase the running and decrease the walking - slowly...

My tendency is just to jump right back in with both feet. That's probably why I've had so many injuries over these past few months/years. I don't ease into anything...so, I've decided I will follow the "experts" advice (those editors at Runner's World and various other resources) and ease back into running over a few weeks period of time. Of course, I will heed the warning of any trouble-spot in my body that is reminding me that I'm over 200 lbs and shouldn't be doing this...but, then again...

1 comment:

The Gang's Momma! said...

i'm easing into it too. maybe by the time i'm 50, i'll actually walk every night of the week. . . . :)